Book for Breakfast 2016-2017

It has been two years since Rebecca Mileham and our pupils created the Books for Breakfast club at Dashwood Banbury Academy. With all of their passion, enthusiasm and dedication, the club went from strength to strength over this time. A group set up for the enjoyment of literature, where pupils could discuss, explore and delve into books predominantly through fun activities. Sadly, Rebecca’s time with the club ended in July 2016 and the summer holidays came and went. At the start of this new academic year, Mujtaba, a former member of Books for Breakfast asked when the club would be starting again and who would be taking it over? It is because of the passion and enthusiasm of our pupils that Books for Breakfast continues; with some former members and some new recruits.

B4B Group photo

24 thoughts on “Book for Breakfast 2016-2017

1. Rebecca Mileham

How brilliant to see the new members of Book for Breakfast joining the familiar faces, and that you are reading a new book! Your choice of title looks very interesting. I hope you really enjoy it.

Reply
    1. missgooch

Thank you Rebecca. It has been lovely to hear (from the veterans in the group!) all of the wonderful stories of the fun you had in your sessions! I am taking it all on-board (including the mini-roll vote back by popular demand).

Reply
  2. Dione Katrantzis

I have really enjoyed book for breakfast even though the group has changed a bit. We are reading a book called Christophe and it is about a boy called Christophe (obviously) and he has moved to England and started an English school but he had to read stories from a book, he did not like it though because Babi, another character, believes that stories should be told not written down as it ruins the whole soul and spirit of the tale

Reply
    1. Mujtaba Hussain

Apparently ,according to Babi , writing stories down is a waste of time . The words just fall down and are not going into people’s heads. Christophe has recently been getting bullied by some people and just snapped !
      One day he actually punches one of them . He is a Rwandan refugee ( someone who is forced to move their country because of war or attacks). As Dione said he is having hard time fitting into a English school after he had to leave , but he has made a couple of friends and played football with them..

Reply
  3. Dione Katrantzis

Yes Mujtaba I almost forgot that he has made a good friend that also hates the boy (and his back-up friends)that bully him and he punched him which was very surprising and unexpected because I found Christophe a calm and soft person that wants no problems and enjoys all the small but special things in life and he comes from a small country where there aren’t many jobs or rich people. I believe that his country might be under attack as in Syria and that is the reason that he is a refugee but i am not sure so please share your opinion with me so we can find the correct answer so we can tell all the book for breakfast members and bloggers and members.

Reply
  4. Mia

I’m so glad I get to be in book for breakfast.what I like about book for breakfast is that it’s fun being with my friends and discussing are ideas right now, we are reading a book about a boy called Christophe he has started a new school and it’s not how he imagined it…

Reply
  5. Muneebah

I feel that when Christophe started this English school he felt deserted and no one would really pay much notice to him. He believes that stories shouldn’t be written down they should be told from the mouth and he learnt this from Babi. When playing football (in goal) he fell down on his stomach and the children in the school saw his scar. The scar from when he was shot back in his country Rwanda, the bullet when past so fast that it left a burn on his stomach. Rwanda isn’t a democratic country so Christophe couldn’t say what he believed,his own opinion. Coming to England has been a massive change for him.up to where we have read, Chistophe tells his story about how he came to England with his class mates

Reply
    1. Faith Hitchcock

Hey all! I just want to say I’m so grateful to be in bfb. Its so fun, as we get to read, share opinions about books we are reading independently and as a group, play games, and delve into gripping activities that are literature based. Plus, the food is a key part! We are currently reading the wolf wilder, about a mother and daughter who live in Russia, who are sent wolves that
      have been kept as pets for them to train to become wolves again. We are Also planning an assembly soon on our trip to Parliament, focussing on the suffragettes and how laws are made. I look forward to future sessions!!! 😁

Reply
      1. missgooch

Great to have you in B4B Faith. Never ceases to amaze me how mature you all are in your responses to what we read and learn about. A pleasure to work with you all.

Reply
  6. anastazja

I can’t wait until we start reading wolf wilder,I found the blurb very interesting and voted for it (of course by the mini roll vote that I demanded to be brought back)

Reply
    1. missgooch

I am really looking forward to it too. I have read ‘Rooftoppers’ by the same author (Katherine Rundell) and absolutely loved it! I look forward to Thursday’s B4B!
      Miss Gooch

Reply
      1. anastazja

me too!!!I love reading,its my hobby(aswell as tae kwon-do).When Rebecca led BFB we played more games.Maybe one day me and Dione could plan a cool game.

Reply
  7. Anastazja

Well What to say,im really loving the wolf wilder.Alao , nearly forgot, WELCE OUR NEW MEMBER HARRIET I hope You have a great time.

Reply
        1. Faith Hitchcock

@missgooch we should think of new games for after the assembly. we wont need them before, but after we wont have much accept THE WOLF WILDER … new, fun games are always welcome… maybe more headbandz, that’s fun

Reply
          1. missgooch

Yes definitely, I have many more games up my sleeve for when the assembly has been done. And any games or ideas that you all have are always welcome! Well done for a great a assembly run through today – you are all doing a super job!

1. missgooch

Super assembly! You made me very proud ‘Books for Breakfast’ crew. All the effort with costumes and learning lines! Well done.

Reply